Following the Nov. 21 UUSJ workshop where 39 UUs from around the region discussed the UU World article "Is Your Congregation Public or Private? (http://uuworld.org/ideas/articles/145381.shtml
), I would like to know:
What is UUCAVA's Social Justice Line Item Budget?
I thank Bill Fogarty for his leadership following this article's publication in our church. Unfortunately, I have been unable to attend any of the discussions he has offered about this topic. I hope going forward to be able to attend.
I believe Jacomina De Regt, as one of the UUSJ workshop leaders, described that defining church budget expenditures for social justice is a complex determination to make, and at the workshop. she had a UUCA estimate, but I wasn't taking notes, and I hope that this information could be shared with the entire UUCAVA community in a response to this post (forgive me Jacomina for not asking you directly, but this way all can see the info or whatever is the reason that it must be kept private).
FYI: Here are the questions that resulted from that Nov. 21 workshop:
1. Is your congregation involved in determining outlays that create a more just and humane world and is the giving strategic, based on a survey of which community needs are being met and which are not ?
2. What are the number and monetary value of social justice volunteer hours, not including regular committee meetings?
3. What percentage of members and friends participate in congregational social justice work?
4. What is the monetary value of expenditures for social justice staff and the social justice portion of the minister’s time?
5. What is the number of social justice events and programs held and /or communicated to the congregation including applicable sermons, articles and guest speakers?
6. Does the congregation participate in the prioritization of social justice efforts?
7. What is the number of partnerships the congregation has with those working for the greater good?
8. Are new members expected to be involved with social justice efforts when they join as they are given the expectation that they will financially support the congregation?
9. How many outreach efforts occur with respect to interfaith worship and music?
10. Describe non-quantifiable actions both personal and congregational that are transformational?
11. Are church monies invested in socially responsible/ethical investments, i.e., in companies that do well and do good?