Starting as soon as July 16, Phase 1 of the construction project is slated to begin. With this we will begin to see some significant changes to our parking lot, walkways and access points. I expect Phase 1 to last around 3 months. As we near the change from Phase 1 to Phase 2 I will send out a similar plan for the new parking lot arrangements.
Below, and attached here in a pdf is a map you can view while reading this email. Using Google Maps Satellite view may also help when reviewing this information. Just enter “4444 Arlington Blvd. Arlington VA 22204”
Accessing the church:
- Driveway access at George Mason Drive will be closed for the duration of the construction project (all phases).
- From the Mason’s lot across George Mason Drive (for use on Sundays):
- The best way to access the church will be to cross George Mason Dr. at the light (FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE USE THE CROSSWALK AT THE LIGHT.) and head straight down the Arlington Blvd. service road. I am working with Sully Construction for there to be a pedestrian access to the back of the church lobby off of the Arlington Blvd. service road. This is LABELED “A” near the top of the attached drawing and is about 100 feet from the intersection.
- There will also be a second pedestrian access point off of the Arlington Blvd. service road near the current Cornerstone (this access has been around for some time now) that is LABELED “B”.
- From the main lot (for use all week):
- There are 2 entrances/exits for the main parking lot for use every day of the week. From the Arlington Blvd. service road LABELED “C”. From First Place South LABELED “D”.
- For weekends only, Sully will open additional parking spaces (see yellow section on map) that can be accessed further down First Place South LABELED “E”.
- The pedestrian access that is located where the bike rack currently lives will have some form of structure that will serve as a drop-off point for folks with mobility issues on the gravel. This is not reflected on this drawing, but I am in contact with Sully regarding this need. LABELED “F”
- This pedestrian access leads you up the current ramp and enters you in the church in the upper lobby.
- A new, temporary pedestrian walkway will be installed from First Place South along the parsonage property, connecting to the existing sidewalk next to the playground. You can follow the path from there through the Memorial Garden and across the driveway to enter through the lower level. There are 2 places to access this walkway.
- There is an opening in the fence that runs along the path by the parsonage and playground for access LABELED “G”. For safety and ease of use for all, please do not park directly in front of this access point.
- From First Place South, next to the “weekend only” parking lot access. This access point is LABELED “H”.
Not seen on this map or plan is the parking lot (for use on the weekends) for Arlington Hall West Park located on S. Taylor St, just south of the church. Once parked you follow the sidewalk around the soccer fields and exit through the northeast corner of the field. This will land you on the cul de sac at the end of First Pl. South with the church parking lot just down the street. You can see this better using the Google Maps information above.
I understand that there is a lot of information here and I hope that it is as clear as possible. I thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation as we begin to reach our very big goals with these construction projects. Tough times ahead to be sure, but also very exciting times!
If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me via email, phone, or by dropping by!
Chief Administrative Officer, Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington