The Nominating Committee is elected by the congregation to nominate a church member to serve in each elected position on the Board of Trustees, other officer positions, and special committees. At each Annual Meeting, the Nominating Committee nominates a slate for the lay positions to be elected by the Congregation at the meeting. Its slate also includes nominees to serve on the Nominating Committee itself. The Nominating Committee also recommends to the Board of Trustees a slate of delegates to the General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association.
The Nominating Committee encourages the congregation to voice recommendations on prospective leaders that the committee can contact. Contact the Nominating Committee chair here.
Nominating Committee Job Description
A Nominating Committee member should:
- Be thoughtful, be able to keep information and conversations confidential, work collaboratively, be knowledgeable about many members of the congregation, and be able to fulfill responsibilities in a timely and thorough manner.
- Help define or refine a fair process for evaluating the leadership qualities of potential candidates for elected and appointed church positions such as the Board, Nominating Committee, Ministerial Search Committee or other positions required by the church by-laws or at the request of the Board of Trustees e.g. follow a fair interview process that includes the same questions for all candidates for similar positions.
- Collaborate in sharing information about potential candidates and in taking on assignments.
- Prepare notices, publicity for interviews, leadership orientations and the annual meeting.
- Maintain a table in the Fellowship Hall on periodic Sundays to share information with the congregation.
- Assist in providing information/training to potential leaders on the role and responsibilities of the Board, Nominating Committee and other leadership roles.
- Collaborate with the Board, Transition Team, the Ministers and others in scheduling and planning tasks related to the selection of new leaders.
- Maintain a list of potential leadership candidates, an archive of documents and current positions to be filled.
- Anticipate openings in leadership positions that could occur during the year and schedule interviews of potential candidates.
- Meet with the person who will solicit candidates as delegates to the annual General Assembly and make recommendations about the delegates to the Board of Trustees.
- Prepare updates relevant to the Nominating process and recommended candidates for the UUCA website Governance page and submit them to the Board Chair, copying the Communications Coordinator.
- Develop or refine a Nominating Committee Covenant.
- Elect a Nominating Committee Chair.