Nominating Committee Position Description
Serving on the Nominating Committee is a way to be involved in the building of our Beloved Community by helping to identify and nominate the future leaders of our congregation. While not as visible a role as serving on the Board or as a General Assembly delegate, the Nominating Committee serves a vital role in providing the congregation with the leaders that will put the ideals of our congregation into practice.
- Be thoughtful, able to keep information and conversations confidential, work collaboratively, knowledgeable about many members of the congregation, and able to fulfill responsibilities in a timely and thorough manner.
- Regularly attend services and other UUCA activities.
- Within prior 12 – 18 months have active involvement in other UUCA groups, projects or service roles.
- Help define or refine a fair process for evaluating the leadership qualities of potential candidates for elected and appointed church positions such as the Board, Nominating Committee, Ministerial Search Committee, or other positions required by the church by-laws or at the request of the Board of Trustees.
- Collaborate in sharing information about potential candidates and in taking on assignments.
- Prepare notices, publicity for interviews, leadership orientations, and the annual meeting.
- Maintain a table in Fellowship Hall on periodic Sundays to share information with the congregation.
- Assist in providing information/training to potential leaders on the role and responsibilities of the Board, Nominating Committee, and other leadership roles.
- Collaborate with the Board, transition team, the ministers, and others in scheduling and planning tasks
related to the selection of new leaders.
- Maintain a list of potential leadership candidates.
- Anticipate openings in leadership positions that could occur during the year and schedule interviews of potential candidates.
- Meet with the person who will solicit candidates as delegates to the annual General Assembly and make recommendations about the delegates to the Board of Trustees.
- Prepare updates relevant to the Nominating process and recommended candidates for the UUCA website Governance page and submit them to the Board Chair.
- Lead in generosity by pledging at a personally appropriate level.
- Conduct interviews of candidates for available leadership positions.
- Prepare a slate of candidates for positions on the Board of Trustees and Nominating Committee.
- Take turns at the information table in Fellowship Hall during the recruitment period for available leadership positions.
- Share in phone outreach to potential leadership candidates to set up interviews.
- Nominating Committee Meeting. (Typically August-May)