Live the Pledge the Pledge to End Racism – LTP
UUCA has worked for racial justice since its founding: fighting segregation in the 1950s and working for civil rights in the 1960s; learning, teaching, and advocating for diversity, inclusion and the end of prejudice and unconscious privilege in the decades since.
In 2015, following the UUA General Assembly vote to support the Black Lives Matter Movement, we began to work in solidarity with communities of color and to make a pledge to seek to transform ourselves and the world for racial justice. In the fall of 2016, over 200 people – UUCAers and neighbors – signed a Pledge, and since then, programs are offered to help us understand how best to live out that pledge.
Upcoming LTP Events: See Social Justice Calendar here.
I BELIEVE that every person has worth as an individual.
I BELIEVE that every person is entitled to dignity and respect, regardless of race or color.
I BELIEVE that every thought and every act of racial prejudice is harmful; if it is my thought or act, then it is harmful to me as well as to others.
Therefore, from this day forward
* I WILL strive daily to eliminate racial prejudice from my thoughts and actions.
* I WILL discourage racial prejudice by others at every opportunity.
* I WILL treat all people with dignity and respect;
* I WILL commit to working with others to transform this community into a place that treats people of all races, ethnicities, and cultures with justice, equity, and compassion,
* and I WILL strive daily to honor this pledge, knowing that the world will be a better place because of my effort.